Wednesday, July 06, 2005

But did he ever return, no he never returned...

So I flew back from Seattle on July 4 and had just gotten off of the T shuttle bus with my token-filled hand extended only to discover that the newly installed turnstiles (which are acutally more gates than turnstiles) no longer accepted tokens. I was shunted over to a machine on the side that, once I plunked my token into it, spit out what is called a "Charlie Card". (Ten points if you know why they are calling it a Charlie Card.) Apparently the MBTA has finally gotten around to eliminating what it admits is an outdated token system in favor of paper passes. I think in the long run the intention is to load these passes up with different amounts of money, but for now they only have one and two trip passes.

Anyway, while I'm excited to see the MBTA embracing the latest in 20th century technology, their method of implementation leaves me a little stymied. Why elect to implement this system only on the Airport T stop, as opposed to over an entire line at the same time? The confusion associated with the rerouting of pedestrian traffic to use these new machines was enough, but now that I own a Charlie Card I can't use it for anything else, as far as I know. So...I'm not sure I get what the implementation of this system on one stop accomplishes, especially at a stop where there are bound to be many out-of-towners. They will still have to get tokens - why not allow them to buy them there?

OK enough ranting. In better news, I have officially finished my summer coursework. I am home free! Until September, that is.

But really, I *like* school, really!

1 comment:

David said...

I think the CharlieCard is named after a fictional character in a song about a man trapped forever on the Boston subway because he can't pay the fare required to exit.