Monday, July 11, 2005

oh elliptical trainer, how i hate thee...

I will never understand what people see in elliptical trainers. I've heard many people tell me about feeling so good after riding one, how they have such low impact, etc. However, when I use them my feet are numb after the first mile. What gives? I've asked trainers about this, and no one has given me a good explanation as to why this happens to me and not to others. The only relief I can get from the numbness, besides stopping, is if I change direction and start running backwards on the damn thing. So I end up having to alternate going forwards and backwards every mile or so until my feet just can't take it anymore (usually about 5 miles) and I have to get off. Which always sucks because I never feel like I got a good workout in. I usually feel like I have a lot left in me at that point.

If only I hadn't signed up for this ultra-athlete challenge at work, I wouldn't even be on the thing. But I did, and I have this requirement of completing 17 miles on an elliptical trainer within the month. I have four days left and 11 miles to go. I've completed almost everything else that I need to complete except elliptical, using the logical progression of saving the worst for last. Good plan there, Erin.

If being involved with these athlete challenges requires using the elliptical, I think next time I'll pass on being formally involved. I am not looking forward to those last 11 miles.

No comments: