Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Cut that meat! Cut that meat!

Oh lord...the cold I stayed home from work with has been loads of fun for me so far. (I consider it a bonus Christmas present from my mother, especially when I gave her the news that I was returning to Boston after staying with her for only four days this holiday.) So far today I've slept, worked out some details with my insurance company, slept some more, called into work to pick up my messages, slept again, wrote a really long post to my blog, slept some more, then finally got up about an hour ago for real (i.e. put on clothes). My day's been action-packed, as you can see.

The news of the continually increasing numbers of people who were killed as a result of the massive tidal waves has been very sobering. Especially in the face of me writing long posts about the state of my love life, the images of these people whom I don't know and their suffering have made me feel small in some ways. And lucky. I can take pleasure in the small things, like Peyton Manning's latest commercials for VISA, and not have to worry about where my next meal will come from, or how I will economically rebuild my life.

Yet everything is dependent on your own experiences. Just because I probably will never have to worry about having enough to take care of myself with doesn't mean that my life's emotional troubles shouldn't cause me pain. We deal with the pains associated with the life we do know, and I would argue that no matter how good any one of us may have it, there will always be things we will struggle with.

No comments: