Monday, December 20, 2004

going, moving, never stopping

The last couple of weeks have been so busy for me. I feel like I haven't been able to pause for a breath, nevermind relax. Work is busy and my personal life has been filled with either strife or stress. My sleeping has become almost dreamless of late.

Last week my family's dog died. This was harder for me than I had thought it would be. He was, in many ways, the last living tie to the later years of my childhood. The day he died, my family buried him in the backyard. As we stood around the grave, all crying, I looked at my two brothers and saw in them the children that they were when we first got him 15 years ago. We had changed, but in many ways we have not.

I am now 30 years old. I am no longer the child I was when I was carrying a tiny puppy home to my family for the first time. Time has moved on without pause, as it always does. Yet, I am not sad about this. I do not miss the person that I was, just the connection to it. And the warmth that a small dog can give you when leaning on your legs in bed.

I miss you Dusty.

No comments: